OpenTafl is a free implementation of that old Norse board game, hnefatafl.
The OpenTafl server at intersect.manywords.press is currently running OpenTafl v0.4.6.3b, mostly compatible with client versions from v0.3.3.3b onward, and fully compatible with versions v0.4.6.3b onward2.
Please note that versions of OpenTafl prior to v0.4.4.3b suffer from a bug which causes undefined behavior when playing Copenhagen games. Before reporting strange behavior in such games, please attempt to reproduce it using v0.4.4.3b or later.
Please report bugs here.
Latest release notes (v0.4.6.4b, released 04/23/17)
- Keyboard control now available in games; see ‘help’ command output for details
- Full-featured variant editor added
- Other minor fixes and improvements
- See README for details
There is an OpenTafl artificial intelligence tournament held in December of even-numbered. Find more information on the 2016 running here.
OpenTafl is, as its name suggests, an open project. The source code is available through Mercurial at Bitbucket, and is mirrored to the Many Words site once per day. Please report any bugs at Bitbucket using the issue tracker. Follow the development at the Soapbox.
OpenTafl powers the bot player at PlayTaflOnline.com, a place where you can, as the name suggests, play tafl online.
OpenTafl is licensed under The Free-As-In-Beer License, Stout Edition.
- Following a server failure, the available version history will start over with v0.4.6.4b. ↩
- OpenTafl v0.4.6.3b fixes a bug in the shieldwall capture rules where the king could be captured by shieldwall. Older clients will see an incorrect game state in this situation, but are otherwise fully compatible. ↩